But now, Chia has a more health-related meaning to me, thanks to Chia Seeds, which offer a range of health benefits. I actually don’t know if you can harvest the seeds from the plant shaped like our current president, but you can definitely buy them at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods for the awesome benefits.
Chia seeds are known to:
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Provide protein – in higher percentages than other seeds and grains
- Contain antioxidants
- Add fiber to your diet
- Provide a heaping portion of Omegas – 1 tbsp of the stuff has 2.9g Omega-3, and 1g Omega-6
- Stabilize blood sugar
Because Chia seeds do not have a strong flavor – they are just slightly nutty tasting – they can be added into meals and snacks you already eat to give you all of the health benefits without major impact to the food. You can sprinkle them in yogurt, add them to smoothies, or top a salad with them.
Here, though, I made the Chia Seeds the main event. This recipe was adapted from the one on the back of my Chia Seed packet, and couldn’t be easier! With this pudding, the Chia seeds soak up the coconut milk, expanding into little bubbles that give the pudding the consistency of tapioca. This can be eaten as a dessert or snack – but to be honest, it’s probably going to be my breakfast tomorrow! Hey, at least it’s not ice cream…
1/4 cup Chia Seeds
1 cup coconut milk
3 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients, stirring well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until pudding is thick and Chia seeds have expanded.