I like to think of Portobello mushrooms as the steak of the vegetarian world. These mushrooms are thick with a meaty texture and, unlike other mushrooms, they can stand on their own as a complete meal. Or, you can serve them as a hearty side dish or slice them up in a serious salad.
Portobellos can seem a bit intimidating because you clean them differently than other vegetables. This is how I prepare them:
- Remove the stem by simply pulling it out with one hand while gently gripping the cap with the other hand.
- Scrape out the gills on the underside of the mushroom with a spoon. The gills are safe to eat, but tend to have a slimier flavor and lead to ‘dirtier’ looking dishes.
- Use a damp paper towel to wipe down the entire mushroom.
There are some great YouTube videos showing the step-by-step process, too. It only takes a few minutes, I promise!
Why you should eat mushrooms: The benefits
- A Portobello mushroom has about as much potassium as a banana.
- They’re chock-full of antioxidants – and don’t lose their cancer-fighting power when cooked, so you can enjoy them however you like them!
- They also don’t lose their minerals and nutrients when cooked – which include niacin, selenium and copper.
- They’re delicious.
Balsamic Roasted Portobello Mushrooms & Red Peppers with Feta and Avocado
4 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and gutted as described above
1 red pepper, cut length-ways into four large slices
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp thyme
Crumbled Feta cheese
1/2 avocado, sliced, to garnish
- Marinate the mushrooms and peppers in the olive oil, balsamic, garlic, rosemary and thyme for at least one hour (but no more than six or the mushrooms will break down).
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place mushrooms and peppers on an oven-proof pan and cook for about 20 minutes. You will notice that the mushrooms bleed out much of their moisture – this is normal.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on each mushroom – I like to put the cheese on the underside of the mushroom to make use of the natural cup shape.
- Once cheese is melted, serve. Place one piece of pepper on the bottom, followed by a Portobello and garnished with avocado slices.